Full Version: Can I refuse parenting time to my ex if he does not pay child support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I refuse parenting time to my child’s other parent if he/she does not pay child support?

No. Although it might seem like a fair exchange to you when you are angry or when you feel sympathetic for your child, from a legal perspective, parenting time and child maintenance are not connected.

It is also important to note that maintenance and access are treated separately in terms of South African law. This means that both parents have a right to see their children whether or not maintenance is paid.

It also means that one parent cannot withhold access to the child or children because maintenance has not been paid.